Thursday, September 2, 2021

2 SEPTEMBER, 2021

Dear Harry,

Do I need to remind you of that other remarkable event on my last day at boarding school?

You brought salvation with you on that day when you and Peggy came to pick me up. You brought Jeannine. I found her sitting there beside me, when I opened up the door to the back seat of your car and climbed in. You had written me to expect another exchange student from France but I had entirely forgotten that she had already arrived to stay with us. And there she was, beautiful in her white shirt and tartan skirt, mysterious, infinitely tantalizing, French, feminine, and smiling what I came to know as her private, impenetrable feline smile.

Of course I fell in love again at once.

Says your son, who always fell in love too easily but never managed to love well,

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm posting today about "Bipolar Bear," a memoir by my friend Carl Davis--a man whom many of you know from his presence as an ...