Thursday, December 23, 2021

MIND/NO MIND

Sometimes, in meditation, when I want to re-mind myself how mind might look, I imagine myself in a car, driving through some vast desert landscape...

I think of the brain as the engine of the vehicle, working away as it pulls us all along through this vast desert landscape...

I think of the vehicle itself as the body...

and I think of mind as everything up ahead and everything behind, everything to the left, as far as the eye can see, and everything to the right; of the great, supporting earth below and the boundless sky above...

and then... everything beyond the horizon up ahead and beyond the horizon stretching out behind; everything beyond the horizons, left and right; and everything beyond the boundless sky...

I think of mind... no, I experience mind as clear, open, limitless space, powerful beyond imagination...

... and then, when I have it all in mind, I let go. 

No mind.

If you never tried it, you might find this an instructive, mind-opening experience. Start by imagining yourself in a car, traveling though a vast desert landscape...

think of the brain as the engine of the vehicle, pulling you along...

think of the whole vehicle as the body...

and think of mind as everything ahead and everything behind, everything to your left as far as the eye can see and everything to your right; of the great, supporting earth below and the boundless sky above...

and then, imagine an unimaginable expansion, including everything beyond the horizon up ahead and the horizon stretching out behind; everything beyond the horizons, left and right, and everything beyond the boundless sky...

and think of mind... no, experience the mind... as pure, open, limitless space, unimaginably powerful, unimaginably great...

... and then, when you have it all in mind, let go. 

No mind.

1 comment:

  1. I've tried medication of course, but I haven't tried it your way. I love the idea of it and can imagine the feeling.

    ReplyDelete

I'm posting today about "Bipolar Bear," a memoir by my friend Carl Davis--a man whom many of you know from his presence as an ...